Saturday, July 24, 2010

Free Fallin'




This was a weird event. Perfect Fit, a yarn manufacturer in Suncook, NH contacted our knitting guild, and apparently the rest of Western civilization that they were giving yarn away. That means free, people. Free. There had to be three hundred people there. The line was crazy and when they finally let us in, I thought it was going to be like one of those rock concerts where people get crushed to death.

I didn't get much, two cones of a white 100% wool yarn that I intend to dye a decent color.  It is really fine, really, really fine, even for lace.  I may need to double it for a lace shawl. It's 7,000 yards per pound, and the cones I got were 3 pounds each, so that's 42,000 yards for free.  There was some good stuff there, but not in colors I like, and/or purple.  Lora made out pretty well, she had about 3+ kitchen garbage bags full of stuff.  I'm not sure Brent was so pleased though. 

In the afternoon we had a meeting of the Misplaced Modifiers (my writing group) at Linda D's apartment.  She did some vegan recipes from a new cookbook of hers that were fabulous.  My favorite were the lemon squares.  They were allegedly made with tofu, but you seriously couldn't taste it, and I'm really fussy about that stuff.  There was also this unbelievable bruschetta.  It was awesome. And I think I have some directions to go and things to fix in the latest blurb, so that's good.  Now to find time to do it.

When I got home from the meeting, Shawn and I went grocery shopping.  We went to Le Gourmet Chef at the mall to get more sodastream flavors (I was out of their version of diet coke), then to A Market in Manchester to pick up a few things, and then to Hannaford. At the A Market, I got some boom Choco boom bars, pictured to your right. They are made with rice milk so they taste more like a milk chocolate bar.  Which is good, because I'm not a big dark chocolate bar person, and I can't have any milk at all in anything. These make me feel like I can at least still have some chocolate.  They are pretty close to a Nestle's Crunch bar. Grocery shopping is still taking us hours, because we're still having to read all the labels to make sure there's no milk in anything.

There's no other fiber news as I have done nothing since Thursday.  The last contribution of Secret Project IV showed up on Friday (thanks Donna D) and so now the assembly can begin.  I just have to get myself moving on it. 

Stay tuned for other updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment