Sunday, August 16, 2009

Progress on Multiple Fronts and Recent Happenings

It's been a few days since I wrote, other than a quick note about posting Mya's Jacket pattern. I have news about that, but first I want to catch up on a few other things. Last Sunday, we went to meet Chris and Kristie at Chris's parents new place in Washington, NH. It has a very small lake which is apparently man made from three different streams. Apparently it's only about 5-6 feet deep in the deepest parts. We got to see Zack, who I had not seen since he was much much littler. When I last saw him, he looked a lot more like Chris, but now he looks much more like Kristie. Except for his ears. His ears are all Chris. He seems to be a very mellow kiddo for his age.

Chris made some brats from Wisconsin, boiled in beer and then grilled, and we had a salad. Except Chris dropped the lettuce head in the dirt, so we rinsed it off, but you had to beware of sand for the rest of the afternoon. I figure I got a good share of my peck of dirt in that salad.

This picture of Zach cracks me up. I'm not sure what he was so disgusted about, but I think that was about the only time all day the kiddo didn't have a smile on his face.

Shawn and Chris went for a canoe ride, and then Chris came back alone saying that one life jacket per person was being enforced so he had to dump Shawn out. Apparently he had put Shawn out on one of the rocks, and left him there to try to freak us out. Knowing the pair of them, Kristie and I were not freaked. For those of you from Maine and/or who knew me growing up, take a look a Chris's shirt. My father was a John Deere fanatic, and for some reason this shirt sent me into hysterics.

On other fronts, it was a really freaking busy week. Work was crazy because Rich was out, there was a board meeting I had to help with the catering for, and there was a barbecue for the office I had to make arrangements for. With Rich out, I had to put some extra hours in. Also, we got a call that the apartment was going to be inspected and possibly sprayed, since a surrounding apartment had called in a complaint about pests. (We've seen nothing.) Since Kiwi is technically not supposed to exist in my apartment, everything had to get cleaned and put up in the attic storage area in totes. She then had to go to work with me Thursday for a while in travel cage until her dad could take her to get boarded. After the inspection we were told we were clear, but since everything was completely picked up and clear, we decided to leave her at Bird Supply until Saturday morning so that we could clean the carpets. So Friday night we cleaned the bedrooms completely and steam cleaned the carpets, and Saturday morning I cleaned the living room and steam cleaned that carpet, while Shawn ran down to Bird Supply to pick up the Princess of Destruction. After that, we went to lunch at Hot Stone Pizza and went to see the new Harry Potter movie. It's been a really long time since we went to a movie. For some reason, I conked out for two hour nap when we got home. Shawn had to really fight with me to get me to wake up at 9:00 pm. I'm claiming it was the carpet cleaning detergent fumes...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

In non chronological news, I posted Mya's Jacket pattern Wednesday night on As of two minutes ago, 92 people had favorite-d the pattern, and 5 people have bought it. Yay! Two more purchases, and I'll have paid for the yarn. It's gratifying to see that people who purchased and have favorite-d the pattern are all over the place, and aren't just people I know.

Thursday night I spent at Paula and Fred's knitting. Donna brought the two bottles of Gosling's Black Seal Dark Rum that she picked up for me in Bermuda, which I love, love, love. Yay!! Paula supplied us with some lovely pate, and cheeses. There was a banana apricot bread which I'm told was delicious, but I really hate bananas so I didn't try it.

Also this week, I believe that I might have started my mid life crisis. Or I'm just aggravated and annoyed as usual, I'm not really sure. I'm turning 38 in February, and while I'm aware that it's just a number, the bigger issue for me is that it's been a year and half since I retired from being a lawyer, and I really haven't done much of what I said I was going to do. I've designed two patterns, and I've written maybe 10-20 pages of fiction. For my type A self, that's not a lot of freaking progress. Now I am considering that I did need some down time after 10 years of doing work that made me unhappy, and working crazy hours, and that I've been spending time doing a lot of things that I didn't have time to do before, more cooking, bicycling, doing more social things, traveling, camping, etc., but come on! I guess I'm thinking it's time to get with the program, if I really do want to do this stuff.

And that leads me to the next question. Do I really want to do this stuff if I'm not doing it? My mother thinks that I might be afraid to really write, because what if I'm not good at it. I don't really think that's the issue, because I read an awful lot of crap, so it's not like I'm thinking the bar is set really high. And I'm not thinking that I have to write high literature, I just want to write a story and have a good time doing it, and maybe if I'm lucky, people might be able to read it, and get a laugh out of it.

Shawn thinks that I must not really want to write, because if I did, I would. But I'm not sure that's really it either. I think that unless I have structure, it's not going to happen. Writing and designing are not easy. They are fun, but they require a lot of brain power and work. When you're tired from work, and it's hot, it's easier to read a book than work on writing one, and it's easier to knit something from someone else's pattern than write your own. So unless I have a defined schedule or goal, it's a hell of a lot easier for me to come home and say, oh, I'm beat, I'll just read or knit for while. To determine where the truth is, my thought is that I have to have a plan and schedule and stick to it for a while to see what the deal is.

I made a schedule this morning and cleaned my desk. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment