Saturday, June 13, 2009

Slacking off on the Blog and Relay Recap

**Because this won't allow me to enter blank lines today apparently, I'm inserting asterisks in between paragraphs, what is up with that???***
I haven't written for a bit, I seem to be running around all the time, with the whole biking thing, trying to plan our new diets, and general chaos. Anyway, many of you knew I was doing the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. (Here's the page to donate, if you want to do it after the fact :), there's still time) I did it with the Bianco crew. We had a good time, including some of us scooting over the Puritan for a dinner break, and drinks. But it was cold. Viciously cold. So cold you couldn't get warm in a sleeping bag cold. So cold you were putting the palm of your hand over the tip of your nose to warm it up, and it still chapped up and peeled two days later cold.
The whole premise of the Relay is that you start at 6:00 pm and walk around a track, in relays, until 10:00 am the next morning. So we planned to have two people on the track most of the time. You were supposed to sleep while others were doing their turn. This did not work out well for me. Let me repeat how freaking cold it was. And I'm only saying "freaking" to be diplomatic. You know which other word that begins with an F, I'm using in my heart of hearts. It was so cold I could not sleep and I think I got all of 45 minutes sleep at the track, between 3:30 am and 4:30 am ish. After running to the ladies room and returning to our camp site at about 4:50 am, we kind of all looked at each other and said let's get the hell out of there. We left Anna behind because she decided to stay as the kiddos were still sleeping (sorry Anna...).
It was kind of fun, but I may be approaching the age where I am just too old for this kind of thing. I got home around 6 am or so, and showered to get all the grass and damp off off me, and to warm up, and tried to sleep for a couple of hours, as we had Shawn's brother's family graduation party that day. Honestly, I was exhausted for three days afterwards. Next time, I'll just do the walk. You know, walk five miles in an hour and a half or so, and be done with it. No carting tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, and other assorted crap around. You just walk and it's over. Plus they played music all night, which was fine, unless you were trying to sleep, and the D.J. was just pathetic, and needed to be put out of his misery. Again, some curmudgeonliness (is that a word?) is beginning to rear its ugly head, but I think that's pretty much been in process since I was six.
I woke up at about 10:00 am that morning, after having gone to bed at 7:00 am, to get ready to go to Shawn's brother's graduation party. I was really dragging, and continued to drag. It was nice to see everyone, but it was also a lesson for Shawn and I that we are going to have to plan to bring food to those kind of events to insure that there are things there he can eat, and not feel like he's being deprived. There weren't many good choices.
After the party, we then had to grocery shop so we would have diabetes friendly food for the week ahead. For those of you who don't know this about me, I HATE to grocery shop. Having to do it every week is an adjustment for us, since we used to do it about once a month, as that was about as often as I could stand it. (Honestly, I'd rather scrub the toilets.) By the time we got it home and unloaded, I had just about collapsed. There was a time when I could pull two all nighters in a row, and not collapse until 11:00 pm on the third night. Of course, I used to drink a hell of lot more caffeine then, but I digress. I'm getting old.
The next day, I got up to start two of the dishes from the crockpot diabetes cookbook we got, Mulligatawny Soup, and Morrocan Beef, and left them going while I went to guild. We make our own freezer meals. The hard part is now we have to weigh the whole batch, then apportion it by weight by serving, and then masking tape the diabetes exchange values on the top so we know how to count it. I'm doing a hell of a lot of dishes lately.
On Monday we went to the Windham Rail Trail with Gina and Ian. We were late due to traffic, and my optimistic view of when I think I can leave work. We caught up with them on the trail and Shawn rode 8 miles with Ian and I rode 6 miles with Gina (her fender was rattling and she didn't want to go on the unpaved part as it was driving her crazy.) I also got to see her version of Mya's Jacket which was so cool!!! It's so different than mine, but I love what she did with it. Gina has been really helpful with test knitting the pattern, she's a great editor!
Wednesday I went to Paula and Fred's. I love going to Paula and Fred's. Fred had a new cheese to try with an ash layer going through the middle of it. Apparently in that region, when they started making that particular cheese in the depths of time, they would take the cream from the morning milking, put it in a container, put a layer of fine ash over the top to keep the flies off it, and then put another layer of cream over it with the evening milking. They obviously don't have to do that now, but they do because it's traditional for that cheese. The things you learn at Paula and Fred's!! Fred also had some limoncello that he made from scratch which was just gorgeous. I might have to try to do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment