Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wasted Words

Just a warning to start. I'm cranky due the flu/stomach bug I developed on Sunday evening. I spent most of Monday in bed or comatose or playing games on the wii which did not require any physical movement. Shockingly, they do exist. Because I had left revising my submission for writing group until the last minute on Sunday, it didn't get done as the result of the flu. And while I feel a bit better today, in that I went to work, and there have been no mad dashes for the facilities, I don't feel coherent enough to work on the novel. Spew a bunch of crap on my blog, yeah, but not the novel. So I have posted garbage on my writing group's site for the critique this month and I'm ticked off at myself about it, hence the Allman Brothers' Wasted Words song title for the blog title today. (What is with me and the Allman Brothers lately??)

I also turned 38 years old this Saturday. And while I don't really care about the age thing so much, although I am noticing more white hairs, it's just that I had meant to accomplish more than I have by now. And that sounds arrogant and obnoxious, but it's sort of true. I do hope I'm a late bloomer.
In other birthday news, Kat at work made these lovely cupcakes for me. Notice the skittles and the sour gummy nightcrawlers. The cupcakes were lemon with lemon frosting and were awesome. Given that since Shawn was diagnosed with diabetes I have all but given up skittles and sour gummy candy of any kind, they were such a treat! (Yes, I do have extremely juvenile taste in candy, thank you. I am aware of that.)


On Saturday Shawn gave me a Nintendo Wii points card, a gift card to the Elegant Ewe, and a skein of purple Swans Island Certified Organic Merino Worsted yarn. It's not yarn I would have bought for myself due the cost, but it is lovely and very smooshy and soft. I also got one of Shawn's really lovely cards, but unfortunately, I ended up choking on the cupcake in the pictures in the middle of reading it. So it really didn't have the effect Shawn was going for. Usually I end up in tears because he's so sweet, but this time I was in tears trying to get green coconut out of my throat. Poor Shawn.


Besides the choking, I was also emotionally traumatized on Saturday due to the arrival of my new driver's license. I don't think I've ever had a picture this bad. Mary Kate said I look like I'm Asian. I'm tempted to lose it and get a replacement, but I think they just print them out again from the computer now. Sigh...

We normally go to dinner for each other's birthdays. I really wanted to go to the Hanover Street Chophouse because we had such an unbelievable meal there about a year and half ago. However, because it's so expensive, I had to offer to pay half to get to go. It was worth it. Shawn had the soup of the day which was a white bean soup with pork belly and some roasted vegetables, the truffled filet with fingerling potatoes and roasted vegetables, and a side of brussel sprouts cut in half and grilled with bacon (which I ate half of). I had the calamari with a garlic/spicy aioli and some marinara, the surf and turf which came with a filet, a lobster tail poached in butter, sour cream mashed potatoes and asparagus with Hollandaise sauce. They had a panna cotta served with blood orange sorbet, but I couldn't eat all that so they let me just have some blood orange sorbet. They wrote happy birthday in chocolate syrup on the plate which was very ornate. I love it there, wish I could afford to go more than once every two years or so. The waiter tried to guess my age as 28 or 29, angling for the tip I guess :)

On Sunday I did the Wii for about an hour trying to work off some of the dinner, but I'm thinking it'll be days and days before that happens. I then went to the Sprint Store to get a new phone. Look at the color. I could just cry. But they had to order it, so I won't get it until Thursday probably.
Afterwards I went to guild and had a lovely time. People think that knitters are nice and sedate, but not so much. To protect the guilty, I'll not discuss the warped comments about poultry that occurred.

After guild I went to Joanne and Brian's (Shawn's parents) to visit. I helped Joanne set up their wii for wireless and showed her how to get other mii characters and register her friend's wii's. I got a very sweet card, a gift card to Target and Spore Hero for the wii. Woo hoo!! I did play it for about two hours while sick on Monday, as it does not have much physical activity.

Tonight on my way home from work, I stopped in at the Ewe. I bought a skein of Half Crepe from Mountain Colors. I love this yarn, but I've never bought it because I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. So I used Shawn's gift card.

While I was there, I also picked up the Trekking Hand Art sock yarn I had been eyeing last week. The colors don't really translate well in the picture but I really like it.
And that pretty much brings us up to date. Stay tuned for further transmissions.












No comments:

Post a Comment