Monday, September 12, 2011

We Work the Black Seam

Well, after whining in my last post about how much time I was wasting at the gym and not getting other things done, I revamped the Purple Calendar of Doom and tried to take it seriously.  So since my last post, I do have numbers to report. 

In fiber news, I made up my spinning goals for July and August, and now I'm working on the quota for September.   First I spun up some dual color roving from Ingrid Byrd that I bought at a NH Sheep & Wool or NH Wool Tour a hundred years ago.  I ended up with 4.94 ounces of yarn and it's about a worsted weight.

Then I spun some Ingeo which is corn silk.  I had bought a sampler pack of plant fibers, again a hundred years ago and had never spun this.  It's somewhat like silk but harder on your hands than silk.  It ended up being about a DK or sport weight.  The resulting yarn reminds me of linen more than silk.  I didn't enjoy spinning it and I'm not sure I'll do it again.  I ended up with 2.29 ounces.

 
This brought me up to date and half an ounce into September.  I've started spinning a Cormo/Silk/Alpaca blend Roving from Foxfire Fiber & Designs.  I love her stuff.  I just adore it.  If I could only buy fiber from one processor/vendor, it would be from here.  I need to have finished spinning 3.51 ounces by the end of September to comply with the 2011 Yarn & Fiber Stash Reduction Plan.  I have about 4 ounces of the stuff, but I'm spinning this very finely, so it's taking time.

In knitting news, I finished Chart C and have started working on Chart D of the G+ knit along shawl.  I'm hoping to put some more time on that as well. 

In writing news, I've gained 4,587 words so far this month, which nearly catches me up my goals for July.  Sigh.  But that gets me to 112,431 words and 370 pages.  The damn thing will not end. I know where it's going, I just have to get it down.  And I don't want to think about the revisions. This past weekend was the monthly meeting of the Misplaced Modifiers except we skipped August because we were busy.  It was a wonderful day at Mary Kate R's and I made a dairy and egg free gingerbread cake, which was good and cake-y, but not ginger-y enough.

In gardening news, my habaneros are starting to ripen and I've gotten two cucumbers.  Next year I'm going to take a pass on the tomatoes and cukes, and just do peppers.  They are doing well, as well as the herbs, and everything else is struggling. 

I'm still going to the gym.  Tonight was my 5th visit this month of the eight I have to attend to get my insurance to pay for it. 

In other news, I'm doing the 2011 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk on October 16th.  Please consider donating, as I walk in memory of my aunt Liz (on the left for those of you who didn't know her), who died in 2004, in support of those of my friends who are still fighting and those who survived. My page is to donate is here

And that's pretty much the news that's fit to print.   

No comments:

Post a Comment