Monday, October 12, 2009

Evening Falls

The short answer is that I think I'm fine. After another mammogram, and two ultrasounds, I was told that they think it's fiberous/glandular mass, and I got a letter with the box checked that says (I kid you not) "Probably benign (probably not cancer.) Recommended for repeat mammogram in six (6) months." This sort of thing does not engender confidence in one's health care providers. I somehow don't really feel much better. I'm sure I'll get to the point where I can ignore it again until the next mammogram in six months, but honestly, at this moment I'd like to just get rid of them altogether. I know this is probably not a healthy viewpoint, but I just view them as ticking time bombs. If it does ever happen to me, I'm telling you, I'm not screwing around, it's going to be an immediate double mastectomy even if I have to pay for it. And I know that they say that doesn't always prevent it, but in my viewpoint it sure couldn't hurt. There'd be less tissue for anything to develop in.

But anyway, on to more cheerful topics. I went camping with some of the knitters this weekend at Paula's family's camp area in Ossipee. Fred make amazing mortadella, prosciutto, onion, tomato, and mozzerella paninis over the campfire for lunch, and a meatloaf in a dutch over, baked potatoes and grilled zucchini for dinner. He made homemade marshmellows for smores and I brought the Jetboil Helios and made chocolate fondue. We also used the PCS and my Flash prototype to make hot tea and cocoa, as it was unbelievably freaking cold.

Here's pictures of Fred playing with the Flash and working with the panini maker for the fire.

It was cold. Unbelievably cold. Hard to knit cold. Alison trying to wrap a scarf around her head to keep warm cold.

It was really fun, but despite a long sleeve shirt, my Wellesley double thick sweatshirt, a fleece, a shawl, hat and mittens and two sleeping bags, I barely slept because of the cold. I kept looking at the clock every hour or so, and I think I finally nodded off for a bit between 5 am and 6 am. Given that I had to work the next day, when it got light, I packed up my tent around 7am and headed home to try to get some sleep.

It was really fun, but I think next year we need to do it when it's warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment