Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sculpture Garden






This week was the first week back at work after vacation. The less said about that, probably the better. So in fiber related news, I finished the Tramline Cable sweater, as you can see from the picture. If you want to see the blow by blow on my Ravelry account, the public link is here. I haven't blocked it yet because I don't have a bucket that's really big enough, and I don't want to wash it in my 20 quart stock pot, so I need to go get a plastic tote or something to wash it in. That's why there's no picture of me wearing it yet, although I do like the fit other than the longer arms, but I can correct that with blocking.

So on Sunday that meant that I had to pick my next project so I'd have something to knit at Guild. I kept mulling over options until I nearly ran out of time, if I was going to wind some yarn before going to knitting. So I ended up grabbing one of the kits, Vintage Socks by the Tsarina of Tsocks (Lisa Grossman). Which of course is insane, but it does comply with Item 6 on my 2011 Yarn and Fiber Stash Reduction Plan. Each sock has 17 leaves on it, which have to be knit separately. I have seven leaves knit so far. The color way is Pinot Noir, and I bought the kit a year, maybe two years ago at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool. It's actually not been too bad yet (said while looking above for the knitting gods to strike me dead with a 14" aluminum #11), so hopefully it'll go quickly. The leaves also have to be left on live stitches for an integrated bind off at the end, so that'll be lots of fun too. Ha. In any case, this whole thing should give some of you a good laugh.

In other fiber related news, the very last yarn purchase of 2010, prior to the implementation of the 2011 Yarn and Fiber Stash Reduction Plan, arrived this week.  I also got Margaret Stoves' Wrapped in Lace book, which is fabulous, and Double Knitting Reversible Two-Color Knitting by M'Lou Baker.  The double knitting book its fabulous for ideas, interesting patterns, and technique, but not so fabulous for range of sizes.  Everything appears to be one size.  So if I were to actually use this book to knit a project, I would forced into redesigning most things to fit the intended person.  Most sizing is not fat friendly either.  

On Tuesday, a weird thing happened.  I went to the drycleaner to pick up my clothes so I would have something to wear to work the next day, and when I went in, there was a guy making coffee at the free coffee station.  After I told the attendant what I was looking for, the guy says to me, "Hey, I'll make you a killer deal on some meat I have out in the truck, I'll take checks, credit cards, cash, food stamps, whatever."  I said "What?" and then he explained that he delivered meat door to door, and he had one last crate to get rid of to make some incentive with his company.  I was so puzzled I said I'd look at it, and he said he'd wait for me outside.  After getting my clothes, and making the attendant promise to call the cops if the guy threw me in the back of the truck, I went outside.  The truck had painted insignia on it, and the guy pulls out this box and starts showing me the frozen vacuum packed meat.  It had 6 ribeyes, 8 filets, 5 NY strip, 6 flat iron, 5 beef loin, and some hamburgers.  He showed me a flyer that package was normally $389, and said he'd give it to me for $200.  I said I couldn't do that, it was too high and there were only the two of us.  I said I'd take the ribeyes and the filets, and we haggled the price on that to $80. Then he said he wasn't really supposed to break up a crate, and that it was really worth it to him to sell this whole thing to make this incentive, so he'd give me the whole thing for $127.  So I said okay, and bought the crate. So either I got a killer deal or I got taken and the steaks suck.  We'll see soon, we're defrosting some to try this weekend.  I think that's one of the most random things that has ever happened to me.

On Wednesday I headed to knitting guild, working on leaves of course.  This week's meeting was at Borders in Concord, and as we were leaving, we were looking at all the kits they have in the clearance section.  Some of you may know that I have requested, repeatedly, that Shawn make me a sculpture.  I have said that it could be out of playdoh, mashed potatoes, pipe cleaners, etc.  So when I saw this kit, it was only natural that I bought it for Shawn to assist him in his endeavors.  Shawn was not enthused, and called me a dork.  But how is my encouragement going to work if the raw materials are not readily available for him to use?  I'm not sure this changes my odds of receiving a sculpture in less than a year, but, hey, can't hurt, right?
 
Yesterday my Dansko purple clogs arrived.  I love, love, love them.  I nearly cried, but restrained myself to squealing and jumping up and down like a little girl.  Yes, I know, I have no shame.  But I truly can't convey how fabulous they are. 

Last night we went to Taipei & Toyko with Chris and Kristie L, and Chris and I started drinking Zombies.  They were really yummy and really freaking strong.  We had a really good time, although my legs weren't working properly by the time we left, and I had to let Shawn drive us home.  Kristie got a new job with new hours so we may actually be able to see each other more often, which is really good.

This weekend, I'm supposed to be doing a challenge with Linda D so that I have something written prior to the next meeting of the Misplaced Modifiers.  I have to have 5,000 words by Sunday at 8:00 pm.  As of 9:55 a.m. this morning, I have nothing.  So I better get to it, now that blogging has given my foggy brain cells a warm up.

Stay tuned for further updates as they occur. 

2 comments:

  1. Can't you wash the sweater in the bathtub? It seems a waste to have to wait to buy a tub especially for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could, except I think I'd waste a lot more water that way, plus our drain doesn't hold really well.

    ReplyDelete